All events in the park using commercial providers must be organised under a management of the Department of Conservation concession permit. The Dream Maker holds this permit an all providers can be factored in under her co-ordination
Fisherman’s Island better known by the locals as Paradise is the first Island you come to at the gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park and is situated on the Astrolabe Roadstead on the edge of the south end of the park. It only has charter boat access which takes approximately 15 to 20 minute from Kaiteriteri.
There are Department of Conservation restrictions on how many people can land on the island for an event at any one time. The maximum number on Fisherman’s is 16 and this will include your Celebrant and any other professional people, such as a photographer
The Island is very important to conservation in the park and several voluntary groups that work tirelessly to maintain its vermin free status and management. The group’s projects are to offer a safe environment and nursery for native bird life, mainly the littler blue penguin that is known to nest on the Island. The Island is best visited early morning or into the evening when the bird song chorus is at its best. As members of DOC we insure that all visitors to the Island respect its wild life and remember it is their Island for life and ours just for a day.
We encourage all couples choosing this Island for their event to give a donation in thanks to either The Bird Song Trust or the Janszoon project to help maintain its status and encourage its management for the future generations.
Points to consider:
- Only 16 people can land
- This is very tidal dependent.
- There are no public services on the Island, (however a porter toilet and tent can be hired)
- The famous Island arch is known by photographers as a favorite backdrop; however rock shoes are advised if access to this location is desired.
- Charter boat access only. We have suitable toilet facilities.
- This Island has plenty of shade and safe swimming spots and is personally Terri’s (The Dream Makers) favorite event location.
Basic Package includes:
- Celebrant & Services.
- Assistance with license application. More info Here
- Flowers for the couple (Up-grade for beach styling available)
- Charter boat (based on 8 hours including set-up and down)
- Specialized Gourmet picnic for two (Up-grades available.)
- One bottle of complimentary NZ bubbles.
- Photographer and/or videographer
- Custom designed package, incorporating anything else through the Dream Maker services.